Institute for Marine and Antarctic Studies University of Tasmania
Private Bag 110
Hobart Tasmania 7001
Please login to view email.
+61 3 6226 6011
+61 3 6226 2107
SOOS is an international initiative with the mission to facilitate the collection and delivery of essential observations on dynamics and change of Southern Ocean systems to all international stakeholders (researchers, governments, industries), through design, advocacy and implementation of cost-effective observing and data delivery systems.
SOOS Objectives are structured to follow a logical sequence of implementation: Design of the System, Capabilities, Observations, Regional Implementation, Data Deliver, Support Activities
1) Facilitate the design and implementation of a comprehensive and multi-disciplinary observing system for the Southern Ocean.
2) Advocate and guide the development of new observation technologies
3) Compile and encourage use of existing international standards and methodologies, and facilitate the development of new standards where required
4) Unify and enhance current observation efforts and leverage further resources across disciplines, and between nations and programs
5) Facilitate linking of sustained long-term observations to provide a system of enhanced data discovery and delivery, utilising existing data centres and programmatic efforts combined with, as needed, purpose-built data management and storage systems
6) Provide services to communicate, coordinate, advocate and facilitate SOOS objectives and activities