1 Cau Da Street,
Nha Trang City
Khanh Hoa Province
Please login to view email.
The Institute's predecessor in South Vietnam was "Service des Pêche de l'Indochine" founded on September 14th, 1922. On January 1st, 1930, the Service des Pêche de l'Indochine" was officially changed its name into the "Institut Océanographique de l'Indochine". The Institute of Marine Research under the State Committee for Science and Technique had been established in 1967. After the liberation of South Vietnam in 1975, the "Institut Océanographique de l'Indochine" was integrated with the Institute of Marine Research of State Committee for Science and Technique, forming the Institute of Marine Research under the leadership of the Vietnam Institute for Sciences. The name "Institute of Oceanography" was changed since 1993 after the Vietnam Institute for Science changed its name to National Center for Natural Sciences and Technology. At present, the Institute of Oceanography (IO) is under the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology.
Since the establishment, the Institute of Oceanography has implemented many worth studies that have contributed significantly to the exploitation and conservation of the East Sea. There are 1,100 published studies in which, 62.6% on marine biodiversity; 11.6% on marine physics; 7.6% on ecology and environment; 5.4% on marine geology, geomorphology and 4.4% on marine chemistry and biochemistry.