OceanExpert ID : 14011
Sierra Leone Meteorological Department
Please login to view email.
Sierra Leone was the Head Quarter (HQ) of the then British West African Meteorological Services that was established in 1923.
The Sierra Leone Meteorological Department, an offshoot of the British West African Meteorological Service, was established on April 27, 1961
The responsibilities of the department are as follows:
- Safety and well being of citizen and their protection against severe weather situation and devastation from natural disasters.
- Provision of reliable climatic data to facilitate project design for agricultural planning and implementation, water supply systems, infrastructure, tourism etc.
- Contributing to the socio economic (including proving end-user services for agricultural, marine, etc) development of the country.
- Ensuring maintenance of the quality of the nation’s environment
- Carry our weather and climate related activities e.g. Clean Development Mechanism (CDM), Climate Change Services (CCS), Reduction of Emission from Deforestation and Degradation (REDD), National Communications (NCs), etc