OTGA/VLIZ Training Course: Marine GIS Applications for Integrated Coastal Zone Management
26 - 30 November 2018
This course will focus on integrated coastal zone management, in the sense that it needs to take on board the ecological, environmental, social and economic aspects of managing a coastal area or zone. The course provides an overview and hands approach on GIS applications necessary towards integrated coastal zone management including the data acquisition, processing, analysis and interpretation of spatial data. Participants will develop and build their own case study and make a short presentation at the end of the training course.
- Understand the fundamental aspects of ICZM/ICAM
- Awareness of coastal GIS tools and applications for use in the context of ICZM
- Awareness of data available for ICZM
- Awareness of the IOC approach to Marine Spatial Planning
- Integrated coastal zone management and land-sea interaction: concepts and definitions
- ICZM/ICAM: origin and evolution of the concept: global (ICAM - IOC) and EU context (ICZM in EU ICZM Demonstration Programme and ICZM Recommendation): non-binding legal instrument
- ICZM/ICAM and LSI: processes and approaches
- IOC approach to Marine Spatial Planning
- Current status in the EU context
- Illustration of concepts and processes by means of practical example: the case of Belgium with its federated structure.
- GIS tools for ICZM
Target audience includes, but not limited to, the following:
- Ocean and coastal data managers
- Staff and researchers working on marine GIS applications
- University graduates
- marine researchers and postgraduate students (MSc and PhD students);
- Professionals with interest or new responsibilities in working with marine data and/or information for coastal zone management;
NOTE: priority will be given to participants originating from the Europe and North Africa (Mediterranean) region/countries. UNESCO is committed to promote gender equality. Therefore, applications from women are strongly encouraged.
- Candidates should have a working knowledge of marine data and formats and preferably be working in institutions responsible for the management of marine data;
- The training course is not an introduction to GIS: candidates are expected to have some previous experience in the use of GIS;
- Need to bring own laptop;
- Working knowledge of English.
A Certificate of Participation will be issued to all successful students.
The UNESCO/IOC Project Office for IODE is certified as a Learning Services Provider (ISO 29990:2010).
The OceanTeacher Global Academy is a Project of IOC/IODE supported by the Flanders-UNESCO Trust Fund (FUST) of the Government of Flanders, Belgium.
Duration: 5 working dys (~30 hours classroom, plus eventual online pre course assignments).
Period for Applications: 19 September - 14 October 2018 (CET)
Before starting filling the online application form, please make sure to have available the following:
- a motivation statement (text file) of maximum 300 words;
- your passport number or, in case you are a national of the host country a valid identification/citizen card can be used instead of the passport;
- scan of the endorsement letter (in case you are asking for funding)
- link to your profile on OceanExpert (www.oceanexpert.net); if you don't have one make sure you create one in advance.
The deadline to submit the application closes 14 October 2018. Do not leave for the last minute since the system will close automatically. In case you have any questions please contact the organisers well in advance.
No tuition fee applies. Both full- and co-sponsoring are available for a limited number of participants. For detailed information check the OceanTeacher website (www.oceanteacher.org) and specifically on how to apply on http://bit.ly/2ACZY9r
In case of questions please contact:
OTGA Secretariat on email@example.com always indicating as subject OTGA/VLIZ Training Course: Marine GIS Applications for Integrated Coastal Zone Management, Oostende, Belgium, 26-30 November 2018
|20180919_OTGA VLIZ MGIS and ICZM Nov2018||19/09/2018||
|DE OLIVEIRA Mayara||Brazil|
|MOHAMAD Mohd Nasir||Malaysia|
|NADZRI Muhammad Izuan||Malaysia|
|RAMSEWAK Deanesh||Trinidad and Tobago|
|SHAH ESMAEILI Yasmina||Brazil|
= Person has declined to participate or had their request to participate declined.
Total Invited: 26
Label(s): ICAN training course, IOC training course, IOC Capacity Development training course, IODE training course, MPR training course, OceanTeacher training course
Created at 11:21 on 18 Oct 2017 by Cláudia Delgado
Last Updated at 13:30 on 04 Jan 2019 by Cláudia Delgado